Following on from my Upper Body Workout Routine, here is what exercises I do when I want to train my lower body. Leg day for me is always the hardest as I still have issues with my left leg from an operation I had on it ten years ago. They cut through the muscle near my knee and I still feel like my leg isn’t nearly as strong as it could be and I especially have trouble doing squats and glute push backs. But leg day is awesome as it’s the day I leave the gym feeling like a total boss as I know I’ve given it my all! 💪🏼
Here’s what I do on a typical lower body workout day….
SUPER SET ONE
- 10 x 3 sets of forward lunges (5kg plate)
- 15 x 3 sets of glute weighted bridge (5kg plate) – squeeze those glutes!
- 10 x 3 sets of donkey kicks (squeezing the glute at the top of each one)
- 15 x 3 sets of kettle bell swings (4kg weight)
INDIVIDUAL EXERCISES – WITH A 30 SECOND REST BETWEEN SETS AND A 1 MINUTE REST BETWEEN EXERCISES
- 2 x 10 leg presses – normal stance (37kg)
- 2 x 10 leg presses – legs wide apart, heels pointed in for more of a “froggy” pose (37kg) – this is good for working the inside of the leg too
- 3 x 10 hip abductors (35kg)
- 3 x 10 leg raises (14kg)
SUPER SET THREE
- 3 x 10 raised leg lunges
- 3 x 10 box step ups (single leg)
I finish off with some calf raises and a lot of stretching. I generally don’t do any cardio this day, but if I’m not feeling as worn out as I could be I’ll do a gentle 10 minute walk of the treadmill to cool down. Sometimes I’ll also throw in some squats, although I’ve gotta be honest, I absolutely hate doing squats as they are so hard on my knee!
What is your lower body workout routine? I’m always looking for new exercises to mix it up, so let me know what you do in the comments below!